Thread: 2043 Philadelphia Eagles Game-by-Game Impressions

Philadelphia Eagles
    2047 RECORD: (10-6-0)

PASS: L Odom (3,583)
    RUSH: E Polifka (1,668) (#3)
    REC: C Bethel (896)

2043 Philadelphia Eagles Game-by-Game Impressions

I thought about starting a series that shares my impression of the PHI season, in particular including my game-by-game impressions. After a GML season is finished, I follow each of my game logs in chronological order from Week 1 to 17. This gives me a lot of enjoyment by seeing the season unfolding. I write each game impression without knowing the result of the game and final standings. Hopefully, the text captures my feelings going into the season and after each game. For 2043, I think it nicely shows my distrust in a decent season at the beginning, followed by the amusement of the defense playing well and a cautious excitement, and then the disbelief that things derailed in the second half of the season.

Disclaimer: this was written rather quick, so apologies for typos and poor wording. Also, please bear in mind that this has been written from the PHI perspective and how I see the game unfolding. I apologize in advance if I don't give proper credit to your team, and clearly at least 19 of you have teams with better records than mine :-)

Season Summary: my impression after the season was finished is that we wasted a great defensive effort with an underwhelming an non-explosive offense. After a disappointing season in 2042, the defense turned around and produced great performances -- in particular as the #2 rushing defense in YPC at 3.45. We had 3 defensive players as first-team players, 4 pro-bowlers on defense (with a 5th possible if DE Barrientos had not been snubbed!) and our 5th-round rookie nickel back made the all-rookie team. Couldn't be happier with the defense. The offensive looks non-explosive, and we have problems in converting 3rd downs. The running game doesn't look too bad as the stats indicate, I think. All in all, we look like an above-average team that could make the playoffs in a weaker division, but not in the NFC East. It's clear that we are behind WAS and DAL, and have been so for the last two years.
    Last edited by tzach; 05-18-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Philadelphia Eagles

Game Impressions from Week 1 to 17

PHI 18 @ NYG 16: not the best game for us, and our kicker managed to get 6 field goals to be the game MVP and give us the win. excited about the defense and the running game, but concerned with QB Odom throwing poorly on 3rd down and not being able to score TDs.

PHI 13 vs BUF 10: again, surprised with the defense playing very well and giving us a chance to win this game. looks clear that the passing game is not working. when the defense doesn't show up, it will be ugly.

PHI 10 @ ARI 34: we were totally dominated by ARI, and anything good came to a stop with fumbles. Fumbles are killing us.

PHI 48 vs MIN 13: well, looks like the defense came fired up for this game, and with two early forced fumbles and interception, our offense managed to capitalize for 28-0 at the end of the first half. the game finished 48-13, with a superb performance by the defense. with a quarter of the season gone, the NFC East has DAL 3-1, PHI 3-1, WAS 1-3, and NYG at 0-4. Expecting WAS to finish the season strong, so this will be a hard fought division again. not impressed by our 3-1 record at the moment, and could see anything from 6-10 to 10-6 at the end. like the past 2 years, the divisional games will be key, and PHI hasn't done very well on these.

PHI 0 vs 19 DET: game started with a defensive battle, and we surrendered another fumble at the end of the 2nd quarter. grrr. we held DET to 3 field goals in the first half for a 9-0 lead. the game doesn't look very promising to us. hard fought defensive battle in the 3rd quarter, and again we surrender another fumble. seems like we cannot recover a single fumble. DET capitalizes and scores a TD. Offense cannot get anything going against a ferocious DET defense, and the game finishes 19-0.

PHI 41 @ 21 GB: started the game with two 3 and outs, followed by consecutive interceptions from our stud S Kalk. first time the offense managed to miss a FG, and 2nd time we scored a TD. looks like we will go as far as the defense carry us. series of turnovers follow, with our QB throwing picks like crazy and our defense coming big and geting their own. the game is PHI 28-21 GB at the end of the 3rd quarter, and again we will go as far as the defense carry us. DE Barrientos and S Kalk played great games, and we managed to squeeze a win. Don't be fooled by the scoreline -- it was much closer. Second 3-interception game in S Kalk's career in just three years. which makes me wonder why people move stud safeties to become good CBs.

PHI 30 vs 23 WAS: playing against the Bowl champions is never easy, and this will be a difficult game. we start with at series of crap offensive plays, and somehow manage to get a good series. not much happening in the first half, and again another lost fumble that WAS capitalizes on to take the lead at 17-13. we cannot get any offense going against a great team, and it seems that when the WAS QB gets on a roll, it's completion after completion. the prospects for winning this game don't look good at this point. We get a TD from a big play and at the end of the 3rd quarter, the game is tied at 20. after exchanging FGs, we orchestrate a nice series and get a TD to go 27-20 with two minutes left. DE Barrientos come big with a sack, WAS QB Grisson converts a 4-14 with a 27yd pass,
    35 sec left at the PHI 26 yard line. Our CBs force 4 incompletions and we get a hard fought win against a great team.

PHI 17 @ CHI 9: defense showed up big again -- pretty happy with their performance. The offense was not very consistent against a nice CHI defense, but managed two TD series to wind the game. At mid season, the NFC East has PHI 6-2, DAL 5-3, WAS 4-4, NYK 1-7. Not holding my hopes very high after last season 6-1 start. This will be a nail biter all the way to Week 17.

PHI 28 vs 31 NYG: divisional games are never easy, and after the 6 FG game in Week 1, this promises to be a struggle for our offense. Indeed NYG started with a nice TD series and held our offense to nothing. I love PHI kicker, and having someone to consistently boot 50yd FGs is making a difference for us this year. NYG's offense is killing us in the first half on 3rd downs. We are down 17-9 at half time, with two 50+yd FGs. The second half starts with our offense losing another fumble to a TD. That's too much of a hole for us to climb back from, and we lose 31-28 after scoring a few TDs in garbage time. NYG totally dominated us.

PHI 16 @ 35 DAL: first of two crucial games against DAL, and at this point the division lead is tied between those two teams at 6-3. Last year DAL dominated us, so curious to see what will happen this year with DAL's new QB. One thing is clear -- we will go as far as the defense takes us, as the offense is certainly subpar. Schwandt to Ishii kills us in the first half, and the second half is not any better for us. DAL is clearly the best team in the division and just like last year, we lose the division lead in the second half of the season after the first slate of divisional games. I think at this point we are playing for a Wild Card.

PHI 10 vs 27 MIA: we start the game with three turnovers, and nothing seems to save this offense. it's looking more and more like last year. MIA dominates us and the game finishes 27-10.

PHI 22 vs 27 NO: things are not going well when our MVP kicker starts missing 30 yarders. we are very quickly down 17-10, and the season seems to be derailing real quick.

PHI 24 @ 29 NJ: not sure that the season will finish well for us. problems with third down conversions are hindering us in this game. the offense starts well with a TD series, but the NJ defense quickly starts to dominate us. the defense is playing well, and we get at 17-7 lead going into the fourth quarter. the defense plays well the rest of the fourth quarter, and give us 24-12 lead going into the last minute. NJ gets two TDs in the last 44 seconds, and we lose 29-24.

PHI 16 vs 23 DAL: Going into the game, we clearly don't have the offensive firepower to keep up with DAL, Schwandt, Ishii and Dar Dar. we keep the first half interesting, but DAL quickly pulls away in the second half. great game by the DAL defense, and turnovers and penalties in the RZ don't help us either. Our defense keeps the game within reach, but more interceptions and penalties by our LT hinder the offense. DAL 23, PHI 16 in the end.

PHI 17 @ 14 NE: another nice start by the defense, and we start with an early 10-0 lead. NED misses two short field goals, and the game is going well for us. NE recovers in the 2nd half we put the game within reach at 17-14. Our offense manages one final drive to get a win, finally, after a 6-game losing streak.

PHI 27 @ 30 WAS: we go into the final game of the season without much to play for against the hot Bowl champions. not a recipe for success. we get dominated by WAS on both sides of the ball in the first half, although the defense gets us a turnover for a 23-13 WAS lead at halftime. An INT return for TD gives us hope at 23-20. WAS is clearly the better team, and we lose 30-27 in the end. glad that the offseason is coming in two days!
    Last edited by tzach; 05-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Washington Redskins
    2047 RECORD: (11-5-0)

PASS: G Jue (4,502) (#2)
    RUSH: J Winters (928)
    REC: J Richardson (1,321) (#5)
    Great read, nice idea. Won't be long before it's your time at the top of our division

Philadelphia Eagles

thanks squirrel -- I've been writing these logs/impressions for my own use since joining the GML in 2041, and I figured that perhaps others would enjoy reading. glad that you did!