Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock draft 4546

Washington Redskins
    2051 RECORD: (12-4-0)

PASS: G Jue (4,920) (#2)
    RUSH: B Randall (1,214) (#9)
    REC: J Bensen (1,438) (#3)

Mock draft 4546

Seeing as I don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year, and I have looked at the draft class anyway, here's a mock of the first 32 picks in this year's draft based on my view of each team's needs.

(Note: I had a grand plan to log in to this forum with the username Bill_Barnwell and post this anonymously, photo-avatar and everything, but I can't figure out how to do any of that, so here it is anyway. That should explain the preamble bit at the top)

(Second note: I see other leagues that put up mock drafts like this and I think it's a bit of fun and a great idea. If any of the stuff I have written here about the order of picks, about your team, etc, pisses you off, let me know and I'll take this down. Not looking to cause or be a part of any drama. To limit the prospect of any such drama, I'm only going to post the first eight picks now, but the rest is ready to go if people want to read it. I'll post the rest tomorrow unless there's a reason for me not to.)

(Third note: I'm not going to get into the habit of doing this - rare combo of being on holiday so having the time, and not having any picks to think about)
    Last edited by Squirrel; 06-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Washington Redskins

Even though mock drafts are ridiculous and a special kind of useless, they are also fun, so here goes.

In this mock I’ll take you through the first round, looking at each team’s needs and predicting who I think they will pick. I will post these up eight picks at a time.

This mock draft is brought to you by ziprecruiter.com and our presenting sponsor Seatgeek. I’ve got the Seatgeek app on my phone, and I think it’s great. I recently used it to get tickets to a Megadeth concert.

-----

1st pick New Orleans

Need: It’s completely unclear whether the Saints will feel they need a QB following the rookie year of Louis Cash. On the face of it 6 TD passes and 21 interceptions doesn’t look that promising, but Cash has also flashed evidence of franchise QB potential. If GM TAFIV doesn’t take a QB here or trade the pick down, something he has done in the past, he may look to bolster the receiving options around his young QB.

Pick: QB Greg Finch

2nd pick Tennessee

Need: Tennessee could go a few ways here. A dominant pass rusher would help boost a defense ranked 28th last year. Quarterback Gerhardt, although in year 13, is only 33 years old, but nonetheless a new QB might be on the radar. A star tight end would also fit well on this roster.

Pick: DE Bill Donaldson

3rd pick Buffalo

Need: A team 20th on offense and 15th on defense finds itself with the number 3 pick due in part to a strong division which saw the third-placed team, Miami, get nine wins. Buffalo could use some help at receiver and can be expected to go that way here.

Pick: WR Malcolm Horning

4th pick Seattle

Need: The Seahawks come into the season without a single tight end or receiver under contract. Adding a piece or two here to support quarterback Malachi Blake, who got through his rookie season showing promise, is the obvious direction to take. Alternatively Seattle may look at bringing some more star power into its secondary.

Pick: WR Jeremiah Schneider

5th pick Indianapolis

Need: The league’s 31st ranked defense could use some bolstering in support of what was a soundly functioning offense last season. While the Colts are also aging at quarterback and receiver, look for an add in the secondary here.

Pick: CB Graham Howard

6th pick Kansas City

Need: The Chiefs had the 32nd best offense in the league last season and will be looking for skill position players having drafted linemen successfully in past drafts. With quarterback Corbin Brewer walking to free agency this season, trading up for a quarterback won’t be out of the question. And if the Chiefs’ scouts see a megastar running back on the board here, that might also be an option.

Pick: QB Jerome Light

7th pick San Francisco

Need: Defense is the most obvious direction for the 49ers to take, as the offense continues to perform well driven by young franchise QB Ethan Poole. Look for the first linebacker to go off the board here.

Pick: LB Andrew Garces

8th pick New York Giants

Need: Giants went 0-6 in division and 5-6 out of division, and profile more like a roster picking 16th than picking 8th. Adding a stud to the O-line here would help protect franchise QB Jeremiah Norris as well as helping the league’s 27th-rated running game.

Pick: T Rondell Quinn

Denver Broncos
    2051 RECORD: (10-6-0)

PASS: N Boyd (4,178)
    RUSH: D Feugill (1,097)
    REC: C May (1,236) (#10)
    This is a great idea squirrel. If anyone gets offended by anything you say...screw 'em. They need thicker skin. Features like this are always good for a league. It's great seeing someone's perspective on the class.

Keep it going.
    2010-2048: 354-266-4
    AFC West Champs: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2034, 2035, 2039, 2040, 2042, 2043, 2044, 2048
    Playoff Record: 15-24
    Bowl Game:
    2013 Runner Up
    2039 Runner Up

Seattle Seahawks
    2051 RECORD: (9-7-0)

PASS: M Blake (3,495)
    RUSH: G Swift (965)
    REC: B Garcia (1,102)

well done.
    GM Challenge Bowl Champion 2011
    NFC Champion 2011
    NFC West 2011

Philadelphia Eagles
    2051 RECORD: (11-5-0)

PASS: A Young (3,916)
    RUSH: E Colacino (999)
    REC: T Sanderson (926)
    Great stuff, Squirrel -- please post it all the way to 32!

Chicago Bears
    2051 RECORD: (8-8-0)

PASS: B Mattocks (3,707)
    RUSH: P Gillen (1,091)
    REC: D Lake (1,400) (#4)
    Good stuff Squirrel, keep 'em coming.

Washington Redskins

Cool, OK then, here comes the rest

Washington Redskins

9th pick Green Bay

Need: With only 26 players under contract coming into the new season, and $133m of cap space, expect the Packers to take the best player they can find, both here and with the 11th pick it has through a trade with Baltimore. A quarterback would be ideal, but it wouldn’t be a great surprise to see a linebacker heading to Wisconsin.

Pick: RB Alonzo Davidson

10th pick Minnesota

Need: Minnesota’s 9th-placed offense has the luxury of adding Gerald Criblez, the 1.1 pick from two seasons ago, when it chooses. Criblez has waited patiently so far for two seasons behind established veteran Sedrick Finch, who duly delivered his best ever season last year. While a tight end would fit well here, look for the Vikings to add in the secondary or on the O-Line.

Pick: TE Kris Farley

11th pick Green Bay

Need: As above

Pick: DT Quinn Gadget

12th pick Chicago

Need: Chicago’s 3rd-ranked defense will want to see GM Darren boost the offense here. Look for a receiver or tight end, if there is value on the board. If not, maybe a center or guard will be brought in to help protect quarterback Mattocks.

Pick: G Leonardo Hemphill

13th pick St Louis

Need: GM Mek made a big trade last year to bring a dominant defender onto the roster in linebacker Lawyer Kim. With that done, look for the Rams to join the long line of teams looking for receiving help, or alternatively expect an add on the O-line.

Pick: WR Jack Johnston

14th pick Oakland

Need: Oakland’s offense ranked 29th last year despite depth in the skill positions and a promising season from rookie running back Sean Talley, who averaged 5.3 yards per carry on the way to his 632 yards. An addition on the O-line may give quarterback Reg Stokes the time to locate some of his receiving weapons.

Pick: T Moe Hitchcock

15th pick San Diego

Need: San Diego’s strategy will be the most interesting on draft day, and among the more difficult to predict. They have picks 1.15, 1.17, 1.30, 2.19 and 2.29, as well as two first-rounders next year. They also have a franchise QB aged 24, two marquee receivers in Chandler Stevenson and Bo Morrison, arguably the league’s leading pass rusher in late-bloomer Theodore Pool, and a shutdown corner in Paul Cassani. They are amazingly well placed here, and have the luxury of picking the best player available multiple times. Perhaps they will aim for a tight end, O-line help, and maybe some depth in the secondary.

Pick: S Henry Harlan

16th pick Tampa Bay

Need: The Buccaneers are well balanced, with the 12th-ranked offense and 10th-ranked defense. The tight ends they will want may all be off the board by now, and if so GM Zurgan may simply take the best player available.

Pick: G Donnie Sabol

Washington Redskins

17th pick San Diego

Pick: G Cornell Reilly

18th pick Pittsburgh

Need: On both sides of the ball the Steelers were better in the run game than the pass game last year. With left tackle Ken Clark entering his age-33 season, look for an addition here who can start at right tackle and slide over to the left after a season or two.

Pick: T Desmond Strong

19th pick Cincinnati

Need: While the Bengals couldn’t repeat their bowl victory last year, their 2nd-ranked offense and 4th-ranked defense were unlucky to post only a 9-7 record and miss the playoffs. Pass defense is the relative weakness here, so look for an addition in the secondary, perhaps at safety.

Pick: S Kerry Mathis

20th pick Atlanta

Need: The league’s dominant franchise missed the playoffs last year for only the fourth time in the 34 seasons of the GML. The Falcons could use some depth in the secondary and some youth at QB.

Pick: S Carson Blubaum

21st pick Detroit

Need: GM Garion pursues value as keenly as anyone, and will pick the best player available on the board more often than not, but with the league’s 27th-ranked defense looking to improve look for the Lions to make an addition in the linebackers or secondary here.

Pick: OLB Reuben Cassidy

22nd pick Arizona

Need: The league’s 31st-ranked passing offense relied last year on the big-time production of running back Morris Wilkerson. Look for the Cardinals to add a tackle to give quarterback Murray a bit more time to find star tight end Denzel Perez next year.

Pick: T Bryant Dotson

23rd pick Jacksonville

Need: The Jags struggled running the ball last year, and may look to add a running back or center here. Alternatively a coverage linebacker or a corner could help the league’s 27th-ranked passing D.

Pick: RB Billy Weisner

24th pick Cleveland

Need: GM Johnny was finally able to give all-world quarterback Konishi a promising young receiver last year in Louie Kassotis, yielding 1,579 passing yards in the wide-out’s rookie season. Expect thoughts to turn to defense now, with adding help in the linebackers or secondary the more obvious move than adding reinforcements to an already formidable D-line.

Pick: CB Claude Church

Washington Redskins

25th pick Denver

Need: The Broncos are balanced but aging, particularly on D. Expect best player available here, or maybe even a trade down to get more picks. With Ozzy Osborne entering his age-35 season a dart at a quarterback, either here or somewhere up the board, hasn’t been ruled out by GM Sawblade.

Pick: DT Ronnie Fleming

26th pick New York Jets

Need: The Jets were 28th-ranked passing the ball last year, despite a strong O-line, and may see if they can find a tight end or extra receiver here. Failing that a strong safety would add to the league’s 20th-ranked rushing defense.

Pick: WR Richard Christakes

27th pick Dallas

Need: The league’s leading offense dominated at times last year, while the defense showed flashes of having enough to take the Cowboys all the way to the title. If there’s a dominant, pace-setting linebacker on the board down at 1.27 there will be jubilation in Texas.

Pick: OLB Teddy Barlow

28th pick Carolina

Need: GM Nemesis has hit on pick after pick in recent drafts, and the Panthers find themselves with a stacked roster. With backup quarterback Erik Gaylor patiently waiting for a starting opportunity, pressure to look for a QB to replace the aging Chandler is perhaps lower than for other teams. Looking for a running back is the more obvious move here. Rusty Doyle’s 1,583 yards last season came at only 3.6 per carry, and while some of that was eating clock on the way to a 13-2-1 record, a star rusher would add another dimension to the Panthers’ offense.

Pick: RB Brant Price

29th pick Houston

Need: Any offense led by Nick Corbitt will be strong, but last year the Texans’ 18th-ranked offensive output was a result of a stuttering 28th-ranked run game. Look for an add in the O-line here to shore things up, either at centre or guard.

Pick: G Brendan Hulbert

30th pick San Diego

Pick: DT Miguel Broemer

31st pick New England

Need: Before last season the Patriots had been thin for a while at quarterback and receiver, and well-set everywhere else. Last year GM Pyser put quarterback Rex Giles in to start and added receiver Garrett Resnick in the draft, closing both gaps, and a 12-4 record was the result. Expect a best available pick here, possibly a guard.

Pick: ILB Chance Provine

32nd pick Philadephia

Need: Last year’s champions have a history of drafting for value, not need. With no obvious gaps on the roster, look for a value pickup at guard, defensive tackle or in the secondary.

Pick: DT Winston Hartman