Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The beer thread

Chicago Bears
    2050 RECORD: (5-10-1)

PASS: B Mattocks (3,732)
    RUSH: P Gillen (845)
    REC: D Lake (1,430) (#5)

The beer thread

Seeing as we’re all getting a bit bored with the pace of the draft, I thought I’d start a new thread on another of my hobbies – beer.

Having been a lager drinker for most of my younger years (ie since around age 15), I started drinking “real ale” regularly (the stereotypical UK golden / brownish ale) about 5 years ago, but still with the occasional lager with a curry or other spicy food, as ale doesn’t really go with that.

I’d tried a good number of beers over the years, but never really found many that made me say "Wow" – as a youngster I drank lager to get drunk and cos it was cheap and easily available, switching to ale as I got older because it tasted better.

But just over a year ago I discovered “craft beer” and now I can’t get enough of it. I turned 40 recently and literally all but one of my birthday gifts were beer related, with last Christmas being similar. I got a “beer diary” for Christmas and shortly afterwards discovered a beer rating app for my phone – UnTappd – which helps me keep track of the many beers I’ve tried over the past few months. As of 30th June, I'd had 279 beers this year, with 158 of those being brand new. Most of those have been 330ml bottles or cans, so I'm not an alcoholic (yet).

So I’m guessing that with 31 other blokes here there are bound to be a few beer fans among us? What I didn’t realise when I first got into craft beer is that it started in the US – the image we get in the UK is that everyone in the States drinks some variety of Budweiser, Coors or Miller Lite – but I’ve found there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of craft breweries in the States and what they do has made its way over to the UK in the past 10 years or so. I’ve tried a few US craft beers, but the best breweries (which I’ve been told are Trillium, Tree House, Other Half, Modern Times to name a few) don’t ever send their stuff over here, so I’m curious if any of you US guys have tried any of these breweries?

From a UK perspective, BrewDog is the biggest name in craft beer and they make some good stuff, but there is some really good beer out there if you know where to look. Cloudwater (based in Manchester), Magic Rock (Huddersfield), Verdant (Falmouth) and Buxton (Derbyshire) would be my favourites with their hoppy, hazy, juicy IPA’s and pale ales. If you guys ever get to try any of these I’d highly recommend them.

So anyway, I was bored and wondered if anyone else wanted to chat about beer. It’s a real passion of mine (can you tell?) so I was interested what everyone else likes to drink.
    GM of the Chicago Bears since 2029

2035 and 2039 GML Champions

Philadelphia Eagles
    2050 RECORD: (13-3-0)

PASS: A Young (3,589)
    RUSH: E Colacino (1,122)
    REC: B Wendt (771)
    this thread looks more promising than the draft indeed -- I'm into craft beer as well and stuff like that.

I cannot pass on an authentic Belgium abbey beer -- if you ever have a chance, try Val Dieu (you gotta go to the abbey to buy the real stuff though). incredibly cheap there (3 euros for a 750ml/25oz bottle), and probably among the best I've ever had.

(by the way, i'm on a 10h layover at NY JFK -- if anyone knows a good craft beer around the airport, let me know!)

San Diego Chargers
    2050 RECORD: (8-8-0)

PASS: M Frederick (4,728) (#2)
    RUSH: G Clark (904)
    REC: B Morrison (893)
    Im a big fan of IPA's to the mega cringe of my GF. My favorites are Walking Man Brewery: Homo Erectus. Arrogant Brewing: Arrogant Bastard IPA. aaaand Russian River Brewing: Pliny the Elder IPA. I live in Portland, OR. so I can just about go anywhere and get a good to decent IPA thats 7% or above. Im not a big snob when it comes to beer, if im not drinking a good IPA ill settle for a Pabst Blue Ribbon and be perfectly happy.

Dallas Cowboys
    2050 RECORD: (6-10-0)

PASS: A Zygmunt (3,566)
    RUSH: A Zygmunt (848)
    REC: T Akin (1,079)
    I live in NY and craft beer is literally everywhere. I've always been more of a smoker than a drinker so I haven't dabbled nearly as friends of mine but I had a beer called Billys Chilis this week that was interestingly spicy, as well as some kind of chocolate stout which surprisingly had a very rich, smooth, thick, malty chocolate taste. Captain Lawrence IPA is pretty popular locally, I think they brew nearby. A local grocery store has a whole aisle dedicated to mostly craft beer, and they sell growlers as well. Craft beer has definitely taken off in this area, the only people who drink Bud, Coors, Miller, or PBR are teenagers, college kids, and people who are broke / dont have better options at the gas station late at night. A neighbor of mine managed to concoct a watermelon moonshine that is so good he's actually working on a deal to supply some local restaurant, that's been my drink of choice lately.
    Last edited by bdubbs; 07-12-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Chicago Bears
    2050 RECORD: (5-10-1)

PASS: B Mattocks (3,732)
    RUSH: P Gillen (845)
    REC: D Lake (1,430) (#5)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
    Im a big fan of IPA's to the mega cringe of my GF. My favorites are Walking Man Brewery: Homo Erectus. Arrogant Brewing: Arrogant Bastard IPA. aaaand Russian River Brewing: Pliny the Elder IPA. I live in Portland, OR. so I can just about go anywhere and get a good to decent IPA thats 7% or above. Im not a big snob when it comes to beer, if im not drinking a good IPA ill settle for a Pabst Blue Ribbon and be perfectly happy.
    I've heard that Pliny the Elder is one of the best beers out there, hope I get to try it someday.

I also read that Oregon has the highest number of breweries per capita in the US, so with all those great hops that grow there you must be spoilt for choice!
    GM of the Chicago Bears since 2029

2035 and 2039 GML Champions

Cleveland Browns
    2050 RECORD: (9-7-0)

PASS: D Konishi (4,143) (#8)
    RUSH: A Bartlett (1,121)
    REC: L Kassotis (1,762) (#2)
    Mmmm...beer.

Craft breweries are popping up all over the place in Canada these days and that's music to my ears...and belly. Farmers are even to starting to crank out local barley and hops crops, too!

My brother-in-law and I went on a "Craft Beer Bus Tour" of Edmonton a few years ago and that was fantastic and rather informative. We were piled onto a city bus and shuttled around to various breweries around Edmonton where we were treated to tours and info about various aspects of the business...and of course, we got to sample LOTS of craft beer. As another perk we were given passes to a local craft beerfest that featured "over 400 different types of beer" from all over North America. Again, lots of great, different beers to try and the guys and gals brewing it were more than happy to talk about how and what they do to try and make the perfect beer...in their eyes, at least. We didn't go to the festival last year but did go this year and it was another great night of beer tasting.

I would say that I have rather diverse tastes as I enjoy a dark stout or porter just as much as I like a light, citrous-packed IPA...it all depends on what my belly wants!

I started taking guitar lessons a few months back (been trying to learn on my own for years but bit the bullet and finally committed to go for it!) and after the 2nd or 3rd lesson my instructor asked if I was a beer drinker. I said I was and then I noticed that he had plenty of big, glass jugs tucked in every corner of his basement apartment...hmmm. He offered me a bottle of his latest concoction, it was hand-labeled "Citra IPA", and warned me that it was VERRRRRY hoppy. Oh man, IT WAS DELICIOUS!!

More often than not I walk out of his place with sore fingers, the start of a headache (trying to get my head around what he just told me to practice can be painful for this 40'something year old brain) and a new beer or two to try...I can't wait for Thursday nights!! lol
    Last edited by johnnyshaka; 07-12-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Washington Redskins
    2050 RECORD: (12-4-0)

PASS: G Jue (4,464) (#4)
    RUSH: J Wilkerson (1,655) (#2)
    REC: J Bensen (1,353) (#7)
    Somehow as I've got older I've become more of a wine guy than a beer guy...but I'll be spending a few days in Colorado later this year so will have a chance to put that straight

Denver Broncos
    2050 RECORD: (10-6-0)

PASS: N Boyd (3,997)
    RUSH: D Feugill (897)
    REC: D Kenfield (693)
    I'm not a beer drinker at all. I'm more of a hard cider type and the occasional Jamison.

But here in Rochester is the oldest brewery in New York State. Genesee. Located downtown on the Genesee River.

http://www.geneseebeer.com/
    2010-2048: 354-266-4
    AFC West Champs: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2034, 2035, 2039, 2040, 2042, 2043, 2044, 2048
    Playoff Record: 15-24
    Bowl Game:
    2013 Runner Up
    2039 Runner Up

Dallas Cowboys
    2050 RECORD: (6-10-0)

PASS: A Zygmunt (3,566)
    RUSH: A Zygmunt (848)
    REC: T Akin (1,079)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Somehow as I've got older I've become more of a wine guy than a beer guy...but I'll be spending a few days in Colorado later this year so will have a chance to put that straight
    The only wine I've ever cared for is home made Italian wine that will put you on your ass after a few glasses. If you're going to be in Colorado and you don't get regularly piss tested at your job you have to sample the cannabis products. You haven't lived until you drink a soda that gets you stoned

Cleveland Browns
    2050 RECORD: (9-7-0)

PASS: D Konishi (4,143) (#8)
    RUSH: A Bartlett (1,121)
    REC: L Kassotis (1,762) (#2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Somehow as I've got older I've become more of a wine guy than a beer guy...
    I absolutely love a big glass of Valpolicella with a steak dinner.